We all have those days when we need a boost of confidence – presentations at work, performance reviews, tough client calls, networking events, important meetings with the care team – but we’re feeling anything but large and in charge. What do you do in those instances? You fake it ‘til you make it!
Here are 6 ways to boost your confidence in a hurry:
- Read your resume or your LinkedIn profile or your bio. I’m as introverted as they come, and shy to boot. When I walk into a meeting or take the podium to address a crowd, my fight or flight kicks in and flight dominates. So before I enter the room, I read my professional bio. Damn I look good on paper! I remind myself that I show up much more confident than I feel.
- Listen to a kick ass song. Baseball players use this trick; why shouldn’t you? When a batter walks to home plate a song plays in the ballpark just for him. What’s the song that fires you up? Listen to it on your way to work or that important meeting. May I suggest Helen Reddy’s I Am Woman?
- Phone a friend. Have you forgotten how wonderful you are? Phone a friend and ask her to remind you. If she’s a good friend, she’ll be more than happy to pump you up with compliments.
- Dress for success. You feel good when you look good so break out of your rut and make an extra effort. No one feels confident carrying a quilted, floral bag. So don’t. Upgrade your accessories. Wear your go-to item that always makes you feel good. Tower in heels if they make you feel confident. Or wear your most comfortable shoes that allow you to run around and get stuff done.
- Strike a pose. Power poses work. If you don’t believe me, watch Amy Cuddy’s amazing TedTalk.
- Form a new habit. Every night before you go to sleep, force yourself to list at least one thing you did well during the day. Bonus points if you list more. Not only will this list help you feel more confident, it will help you chase away the insecurities that wake you up at 3 a.m.
7 comments on “6 Ways to Boost Your Confidence in a Hurry”